I am almost certain that we’ve all heard the saying “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” There are periods in your life that only serve to try and make you a bitter person. These times are the times were life has handed you lemon and you have to decide what you’re going to do with that lemon. Lemons’ by themselves are an excellent source of Vitamin C, however so is an orange, and an orange is far more palatable. You could always slice the lemon and use it as natural flavouring in water. You could use it in a cake and make one hell of a delicious pound cake. If you drink then a Lemon Drop cocktail may be right up your alley. The list goes to infinity and beyond. Personally there is no greater comfort food than cookies. So when I do find myself with a lemon you can bet your bottom dollar that I am going to find some way of making cookies out of it.
Prep time 15 minutes
Chill Time 3 hours or overnight
Cook time approximately 15 minutes
Makes approximately 16-18 cookies (depending on size)
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
Icing sugar for dusting
Start by lining two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the lemon zest (about 1 tablespoon’s worth) and 1/2 a cup of sugar until it forms a uniformed mixture.
- With an electric whisk, whisk together this lemon-sugar, with the remaining sugar, and add the butter a little at time until the mixture is of a creamy texture.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and carry on whisking until combined.
- Half a cup at a time add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat until completely incorporated. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Before you remove your mixture from the fridge, preheat your over to 350°F/180°c. Dust your hands with some flour and roll out an inch wide ball with the cookie dough placing them 2 inches apart on your baking tray flattening them with the palm of your hand slightly.
- Place in oven and cook until golden, approximately 10-15minutes depending on the heat of your oven.
- Remove and leave to cool on rack for a few minutes. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm!
Enjoy. These cookies are wonderfully light and fluffy, and they practically melt in your mouth. They can be stored in an air tight container for up to 5 days. Remember if life gives you lemons you can make that lemon into anything you want. So if you try this recipe I would love to see what you’ve baked so send me pictures of your bake on Instagram or tweet them to me!